How to travel outside the USA with an expiring or expired Green Card.

Legal Permanent residents (LPR's) with expiring (within six months) or expired Green Cards must file an I-90 with USCIS. However, at times Permanent Residents with a pending I-90 may have to travel outside the USA. 

How long will it take to receive my new Green Card?

As of June 30, 2016. The USCIS National Benefits Center are currently working on cases with a receipt date of January 1, 2016. 

How does a Permanent Resident lawfully re-enter the USA without a renewed Green Card?

Usually, unless travel is not for emergency reasons, LPR's should wait until they have received their new card. However, if one does need to travel, a LPR may request an I-551 stamp in their valid foreign passport (Note: please speak to a reputable immigration attorney first before travel, to verify there are no other legal issues: like a criminal history)

A I-551 stamp will be issued at a local USCIS office by first scheduling an InfoPass appointment and may be valid for six to twelve months.

How does one obtain a I-551 stamp in their passport?

  1. Schedule an InfoPass appointment with USCIS
  2. Currently have a I-90 pending, bring a copy of your I-90 receipt notice and ASC biometrics appointment, indicating that fingerprints have already been taken.
  3. Bring your Valid foreign passport to your InfoPass appointment.
  4. Proof of residence within the jurisdiction of the USCIS office.
  5. Copy of your Green Card.
  6. Documents supporting your intention to travel. 

Please use our contact us form if you have a concern regarding your case.

Is your DACA expiring soon?

Take a look at your work permit and check the expiration date...

Is it less than 150 days?

If yes, you should seek to renew your DACA and work permit as soon as possible to avoid processing delays. Normally, it takes anywhere from 2-4 months to renew a DACA. Filing early ensures your current work permit does not expire while waiting for the renewal.

Make sure you file on time. 

Submit your renewal request between 150 days and 120 days before the expiration date listed on your current work permit.

Correctly submit all required forms and fees.

  • USCIS will reject your renewal request unless you properly submit:

    • Form I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals;
    • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization;
    • Form I-765 Worksheet; and
    • Required fees of $465
  • Avoid processing delays. Be sure to submit:

    • Any new documents and information related to removal proceedings or criminal history that you have not already submitted to USCIS in a previously approved DACA request,
    • Proof of advance parole if you have traveled outside the United States since you filed your last DACA request that was approved; and
    • Proof of any legal name change.
  • Respond to Requests for Evidence. USCIS may deny your renewal request if you do not respond to a Request for Evidence in a timely manner.

Contact our office to renew your DACA, (858)551-6888 or email at

En Español