How to travel outside the USA with an expiring or expired Green Card.

Legal Permanent residents (LPR's) with expiring (within six months) or expired Green Cards must file an I-90 with USCIS. However, at times Permanent Residents with a pending I-90 may have to travel outside the USA. 

How long will it take to receive my new Green Card?

As of June 30, 2016. The USCIS National Benefits Center are currently working on cases with a receipt date of January 1, 2016. 

How does a Permanent Resident lawfully re-enter the USA without a renewed Green Card?

Usually, unless travel is not for emergency reasons, LPR's should wait until they have received their new card. However, if one does need to travel, a LPR may request an I-551 stamp in their valid foreign passport (Note: please speak to a reputable immigration attorney first before travel, to verify there are no other legal issues: like a criminal history)

A I-551 stamp will be issued at a local USCIS office by first scheduling an InfoPass appointment and may be valid for six to twelve months.

How does one obtain a I-551 stamp in their passport?

  1. Schedule an InfoPass appointment with USCIS
  2. Currently have a I-90 pending, bring a copy of your I-90 receipt notice and ASC biometrics appointment, indicating that fingerprints have already been taken.
  3. Bring your Valid foreign passport to your InfoPass appointment.
  4. Proof of residence within the jurisdiction of the USCIS office.
  5. Copy of your Green Card.
  6. Documents supporting your intention to travel. 

Please use our contact us form if you have a concern regarding your case.